Friday, March 23, 2012

Goat Curry

Goat curry is a traditional Saban dish and ever since I came here, I've been wanting to give it a try.  I finally got a hold of some local goat- here's what I came up with!  It was delicious.  And the bones really make you have to work for your food.  This will make a lot, so you may want to cut it in half.  I just wanted to go ahead and use all of the meat I bought since I already defrosted it.




What you need:

5-6 pounds bone-in goat meat, chopped into pieces
Vinegar
Jamaican curry powder- a lot of it, probably 1/4-1/3 cup in all

3 cups EACH chopped pumpkin and carrots
1 large onion, chopped
2/3 cup chopped hot peppers (find something with about the same heat as jalapenos, or maybe a little milder)
2 tablespoons red curry paste
2 tablespoons Sambal Badjak (an Indonesian chilli paste)
1 tablespoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons Ketjap Manis
1 cup coconut milk
4 + cups water
32 ounces stewed or diced tomatoes

Start by washing the goat meat and rinsing with vinegar.  Season with curry powder until you lightly covered all of the meat.  Place in the refrigerator and let sit for a while- a did 8 or so hours.

Grease one HUGE pot or two fairly large pots and heat on high.  From now on out, if you are using the two pots (which is what I did, because I don't have one that is big enough on its own), just throw half of the ingredients listed into one pot and the other half into the other).

Add goat to the pans and sear, tossing every few minutes to make sure all sides are seared.  If everything is sticking too much after a few minutes of this, add a splash of water to the pan and scrape up the browned bits. Then add the carrots, pumpkin, onion, and peppers, curry paste, Sambal Badjak, garlic, and Ketjap Manis. Brown this a bit, stirring every minute or so.  Add the cup of coconut milk,4 cups water, and canned tomatoes.  Turn heat to low, cover partially, and simmer for a couple of hours.  Stir occasionally to prevent sticking and add water as necessary.  Season with additional curry powder, garlic, or Ketjap Manis if it still needs a little something at the end.  If you're looking for an extra kick, add some Matouk's hot pepper sauce or calypso sauce.

I served it with naan bread for my boyfriend and just with a salad for myself.  Yum!  Rice would also be a good accompaniment.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment