Monday, October 13, 2014

Stewed Green Tomatoes

I've actually never used green tomatoes before until today!  I've had fried ones, which are delicious, but I wanted to make something a little healthier.  So I decided to just cook them up and see what happened...



The result: delicious!  This recipe is pretty basic, but it could definitely be jazzed up depending on your flavor mood.

I served them with chicken tenderloins and stewed eggplant. I probably should have gone for more variety in texture, but I guess I had a craving for stewed food.  Maybe it's the crisp Fall air.

What you need:

2 teaspoons oil or butter 
1 small onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, peeled and diced
~2 pounds green tomatoes, cut into 1/2-3/4 inch chunks
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
1-2 teaspoons cumin
pinch of brown sugar (I used Truvia brown sugar blend because I didn't have regular)
1/2 can green chiles

Heat the oil/butter in a large saucepan over medium high heat.  Add the onion and garlic and saute for 2 minutes.  Add the tomatoes, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, and a pinch of salt.  Let cook, stirring frequently, for 20-30 minutes.  Add the green chiles and let cook for another 5-10 minutes.  The tomatoes chunks should mostly fall apart and be cooked through.  Season with cumin, salt, and pepper.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment