Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Steak Salad with Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing or Balsamic Glaze

I made this for my boyfriend and I.  He got the blue cheese dressing, and I opted for balsamic glaze since I watch calories.  Either way, delicious.


What you need:
2 (6-8 oz) steaks (here on Saba I used strip loin, because that was handy)
Steak Marinade (see below)
Romaine Lettuce or Bibb Lettuce
Arugula
Tomato, chopped
Cucumber, sliced and quartered
Blue Cheese Dressing (see my recipe) or Balsamic Glaze

Start by marinating the steaks in the refrigerator for at least two hours and up to overnight.  I did mine for 10 hours.  Take out of the refrigerator when you start prepping the salads so that they can warm up a little.

Create the salads by placing a pile of torn lettuce and arugula leaves in the center of each plate.  Top with cucumbers and tomatoes.  If you want to get fancy, place the cucumbers and tomatoes so that they rim the edge of the plate.

Heat up a greased frying pan on high.  Place the steaks in the pan and sear for a couple of minutes on each side.  I ended up cooking mine for 6 minutes total, which gave a medium rare 3/4 inch thick steak and a rare 1 1/4 thick steak.  Let sit for 10 minutes, then slice.  Place slices on top of salad and dress with the blue cheese dressing or balsamic glaze (or some other dressing of your choice).

Enjoy!


Steak Marinade::
1/4 cup EACH balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce
2 t garlic powder
2 t black pepper

No comments:

Post a Comment