Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Swiss and Gouda Fondue

My family always had fondue every year for New Year's Eve.  Cheese fondue first, then meat fried in oil, and then chocolate.  It was a lovely tradition, and very exciting every year as a kid.  And so special, because I really can't think of any other time I've had fondue.  All seven of us (plus boyfriends and girlfriends at times) would huddle around the table, eagerly dipping and frying, making sure to get our share.  

I don't actually have a fondue pot at the moment, nor any extension cords which would allow me to use my crockpot.  However, I made this cheese fondue on the stove and just served it into a cup for my Rob and I to dip out of, and that worked just fine.  If you have a fondue pot, use it, or try this out as a crockpot recipe. Otherwise, just do it in a pot, and I'm sure no one will complain.

I served this with beet chips and pita chips (oh, and a few slices of bacon that I was demanded to fry up... personally, I prefered the beet chips).  Chunks of lightly toasted bread or sliced apples would also work well.




What you need:

1 tablespoon butter
1/2 small onion, finely diced
5-6 cloves of garlic, finely diced
3-4 button mushrooms, finely diced
1-11/2 cups dry white wine
1/2 pound EACH gouda and swiss cheese
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon Hennessy (or other whiskey... or maybe just some chicken broth... I just used the Hennessy because it was sitting on the counter from making a drink and I remembered that some fondue recipes I had looked at had the cornstarch mixed with some sort of alcohol)
Black pepper
1 teaspoon lemon juice

Heat medium pot over medium-low heat.  Melt butter in pot and add the onion and garlic.  Cook until beginning to soften.  Add mushroom.  Cook until softened.  Add white wine and heat until simmering.  Add the cheeses and stir until melted.  Whisk together cornstarch and Hennessy.  Add to cheese mixture.  Stir in a bit of pepper and the lemon juice.  Done!

Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment