Monday, February 11, 2013

Garlicky Mashed Cauliflower


Clearly, my cauliflower was purple.  But you can use a normal one, of course. The only cauliflower they had this week were purple ones and I figured the color would be fun.  This makes a much lighter substitute to the mashed potatoes one might normally serve with a steak.  And, personally, I think it tastes better too!   I made this a little too garlicky (not really sure that is possible, but I guess Rob thought so), but I you can just add as many or few garlic cloves as you like.  Or, for a milder garlic flavor, you could roast a head first and just add that.




What you need:

1 medium/small head of cauliflower, cut into large florets
Salt
Garlic- for an intense garlic flavor, use raw cloves (I used 5-6, and that was garlicky to the point of spicy, yum! But probably too intense for anyone but the serious garlic fan).  You can also sub in jarred minced garlic, garlic powder, or roasted garlic
2-3 tablespoons fat-free cream cheese (or regular/light, or sour cream)
Salt and Pepper

Bring an inch of water to boil in a large pot.  Add a pinch of salt and the cauliflower florets.  Cover and boil until cauliflower is very tender.  Drain, squeezing out any extra liquid.  Add garlic and cream cheese.  Puree using an immersion blender, regular blender, or food processor.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Done!

I'll definitely be making this again- maybe try out a Parmesan cheese and herb version.  Yum!


No comments:

Post a Comment