Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Pizza Hummus

After making my Pizza Dip for the first time a few weeks ago, I'm been on a major pizza-y dip kick. And now that there is no more cottage cheese to buy here for the time being (oh, the woes of Saba), I tried using chickpeas to make a pizza-y dip instead.  And then I made it again, and again. Yep, it worked well.


Every time I've made these dips (both the cottage cheese one and this hummus version here), I change things up a bit depending on my mood, my time commitment, and what ingredients I have on hand.  Below is a basic recipe with various add-in options listed.

You could even make a pizza using this dip as the sauce- it would work wonderfully for a vegan pizza as long you left out the cheese and pepperoni, of course.  I've also spread it on a baked portobello mushroom (similar to this here) for a light lunch.  Or just dip with veggies or crackers or chips or whatever you like.  Or make a "pizza" out of the dip: make a basic version of this, spread it in your serving dish and top with layers of other pizza-y ingredients (olives, chopped tomato, artichoke, pesto, cheese, etc).  However you decide to use this stuff, I'm sure it'll be a hit.




What You Definitely Need:
1 can of Chickpeas (14-19 ounces, doesn't really matter)
2-4 fresh Garlic Cloves (or a head of roasted garlic)
1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
1-2 teaspoons Red Wine Vinegar
Olive Oil/Broth/Water
1/2 cup Pizza sauce/ Marinara sauce/ Pasta sauce (some sort of tomato sauce that is pre-spiced- if you use plain canned tomatoes, you'll need to make sure to add extra spice)
Salt and Pepper, to taste
Italian Seasoning, to taste

And What Would be Great to Add:

1/2 cup roasted Eggplant, skin removed
1/2 cup canned Artichoke in brine, drained
2-3 tablespoons good quality Parmesan Cheese
1/4 cup "Broiled Pepperoni" slices (or regular, but if you broil it for a few minutes first, you can drain out the grease and it also becomes a little crispy)
1/4 cup Sun-dried Tomatoes
handful of Arugula 
Red Pepper Flakes

Just blend everything in the blender, adding your olive oil and other liquids as needed.  I start with a little olive oil and then add either water or broth to cut down a bit on the calories.  Just olive oil would be fine, of course.

Experiment and Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment