Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Cucumber, Leek, and Avocado Soup

I overstocked on cucumbers last week and they've been getting to the point where they needed to be used up.  So... soup!  Soup is always a good way to use things up.  And I had most of an avocado to use up as well as some leeks that were borderline slimy around the edges.



This could probably be served at any temperature... I tasted it hot right after making it, but served it lukewarm once I had finished the rest of dinner.  Both were delicious. Tomorrow I'll see how it works chilled for lunch.

I served this with crab cakes and a red pepper and chipotle sauce that I made to go with the crab cakes.  It looked pretty on top of the green of the soup.



What you need:

1 teaspoon oil olive
1/2 head of garlic, peeled and chopped
2 leeks, sliced thinly
Salt
2 medium english cucumber, peeled and sliced
1/2 white wine
2 cups broth of choice (I used seafood concentrate broth because I was out of chicken broth and was serving this with crab anyway)
2 chipotle peppers
3/4 large avocado (I used the local variety... they are similar to "Florida" avocados back in the States... milder flavor and lower in fat than Hass and much larger)
2 cups Silk Coconut Milk (or regular milk)
3 tablespoons fat free cream cheese

Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.  Add leeks, garlic, and a hefty pinch of salt.  Saute until beginning to soften and then add the cucumbers.  Keep cooking until cucumbers are very translucent.  Add the wine and broth and bring to boil.  Turn off heat. Add the chipotle peppers, avocado, coconut milk, and cream cheese.  Puree until smooth with an immersion blender.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.



Try serving with a little goat cheese on top or my new crab cake sauce (once I post it).  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment